Espresso-Bourbon Steak with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks cut 1 inch thick (about 4 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 t coarsely cracked black pepper
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe below
- Steamed green beans
- 1 ⁄4 c bourbon
- 1 ⁄4 c maple syrup
- 1 ⁄4 c reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 t instant espresso coffee powder
- 1/8 t black pepper
- Combine all sauce ingredients, except pepper, in small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 12 to 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced by about half, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper. Keep warm.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Prepare Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
- Meanwhile press coarsely cracked pepper on both sides of beef steak.
- Place steaks on grid and grill uncovered to desired doneness, turning occasionally.
- Evenly divide sauce onto 4 plates.
- Place steak on top of sauce.
- Serve with Mashed Sweet potatoes and green beans.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Place 9 ounces peeled and cubed sweet potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in large saucepan.
- Cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine potatoes, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Beat until mashed and smooth.