Grilled Arepas with Charred Tomato Salsa
- 2 1/2 c Milk
- 1/2 stick Unsalted Butter cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 c White Arepa flour precooked cornmeal
- 1 c Mozzarella Grated
- 2 T Vegetable Oil
- 2 Plum Tomatoes
- 2 T Red Onion Small Dice
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper Chopped
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 1 T Cilantro
- 1 t Olive Oil
- 1 t Salt
- 1 T Sugar
- Heat grill to medium.
- Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Combine arepa flour, salt, sugar, and mozzarella in a large bowl. Add hot milk and stir until combined.
- Let mixture stand until milk is absorbed enough for a soft dough to form, about 1 to 2 minutes (dough will continue to stiffen).
- Form dough into 12 balls (about 2 inches in diameter) then flatten into 3 ½ -to 4-inch patties (about 1/3” thick).
- Preheat the Mr. Bar-B-Q Burger Basket for a minute on grill.
- Place the arepas in each burger slot and lock basket.
- Place on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Slice tomatoes in half, toss with the olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Heat the Mr. Bar-B-Q Stainless Steel Searing Topper on grill and place tomatoes core side down.
- Cook tomatoes until they are blackened on both sides, then set aside to cool.
- One cooled, place them on a cutting board and chop to desired texture.
- Mix the tomatoes with the cilantro, red onion, jalapeno and lime juice.
- Serve on top or along side of the arepas.
Created by Stuart & Company