Grilled Eggplant Caponata
- 1 Eggplant cut into ½” cubes
- 1 8 oz. Can of Tomato Sauce/ Crushed Tomatoes
- ¼ c Spanish onion small diced
- 2 each Garlic cloves minced
- 1 t Crushed Red Pepper flakes
- 2 T Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 T Dried Currants or Raisins
- ¼ c Basil Leaves Torn
- 3 t Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 12 ” Italian baguette into ½” slices
- 2 t Sugar
- 2 t Capers
- 3 t Pine Nuts
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Brush a Mr. Bar-B-Q Stainless Steel Fusion Topper with olive oil.
- Put the eggplant on the topper and cook until all the eggplant is browned.
- Remove from grill and set aside to cool.
- Heat a sauce pot and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and reduce until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the tomato sauce, capers, crushed red pepper, sugar and currants.
- Bring to a low simmer for 15 minutes, then season.
- Remove from heat and put the sauce in a container and cool in the refrigerator.
- Once the tomato sauce has completely cooled, mix in the torn basil leaves, pine nuts, and eggplant.
- Mix thoroughly until all the eggplant is coated with sauce, then let sit for 30 minutes.
- While the eggplant is marinating, dip each of the slices of baguette in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and place in a Mr. Bar-B-Q Oversized Non-stick Grilling Basket.
- Place the basket on the grill and toast the bread. Place the crostinis on a platter and top with a tablespoon of the eggplant.
- Garnish with some torn basil or parsley.
Created by Stuart & Company